Wednesday, November 17, 2010

How "The Viking" became The Viking

So, I got a question from my Twitter friend @punkyjen. How did The Viking come to be called The Viking? A lot of people already know the story but for those who don't and want to know, here it is...

I LOVE Halloween and every year I have a pretty elaborate Halloween party my best friend and I dub, The Masquerade. Last year, we themed the party, "The Night of the Living Dead." I dressed up as a dead Marilyn Monroe and my best friend was a dead Jackie O. No, we didn't have a dead Jack with us.

Don't we look hot?

Anyway, an old high school friend reached out to me on Facebook and asked what I was doing. "Having a party." I told him. "Want to come?"

"Are you sure you know what you're asking?" he responds. This guy I knew had a reputation of frequenting the local parties and well, I knew he'd bring the fun so I said, "yeah come on."

"I'm bringing some friends, cool?" he asked.

"Absolutely."

"You do know what you're saying right?" he said, like he was warning me of something. The parties always tend to get a little out of hand anyway, why is he warning me I wondered. "Yes, come on," I said again.

So at 8 p.m. sharp, when the party started in walks four guys looking like this:




They came to "pillage and plunder" they said as they walked through the door.I guess that guy (Ryan) was only preparing us for their onslaught. And boy did they pillage and plunder! They stayed in character for most of the night, eating food in their hands and without utensils, fighting themselves and taking guests hostage. It was quite a sight and a little frightening, but don't tell them I said that.

Okay so which one is My Viking? Of course he's the only one smiling.

To make an even longer story short, My Viking, whose real name is John, and I went to the high school. He graduated a year prior to me but we had similar friends and probably went to the same parties. Although he didn't tell me until weeks after, he had a crush on me in high school. Everyone now - a  collective AWWWWWW :)

Even though I knew who he was when he walked into my party, it was what he did that intrigued me the most - and that was turning the volume up on the 80s channel and dancing to Boy Meets Girl's "Waiting for a Star to Fall."

Needless to say, that has become OUR song. Okay another AWWWWWW.....

So it just happened from there and I think knowing that we went to the same high school, grew up in the same area and knew the same people, only helped our connection that much more.

So this is why John is My Viking. It was something I started calling him on Twitter and Facebook and gradually picked up by friends. He will always be The Viking, even if I rarely call him that to his face - usually it's Ogre but that's a different story.

Back off ladies, those abs made of marker are mine! :)

2 comments:

  1. cool story, does he refer to you as Marilyn or bombshell or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, he calls me Grumpy! lol

    ReplyDelete