Monday, November 29, 2010

THANK..God that's over

I've never liked Thanksgiving. I say this every year and even though sometimes I can't remember why I don't like the holiday, I quickly remember as I wipe off the last of the pumpkin pie. My stomach just can't handle the amount of food and I usually spend the rest of the evening ill and bloated. But, I've never had a really GREAT Thanksgiving. Something usually goes awry, like a missed ingredient or when my mother stormed out of the kitchen after a smart remark from my grandfather about "mushy mashed potatoes."

Although The Viking and I had been talking for a few weeks last Thanksgiving, this was our first Thanksgiving together. I filled him in on my discontent for the holiday, but he told me to relax, not to worry and that he'd do all the cooking. Just what I wanted to hear! So he did. He injected the turkey with some flavored gooey stuff, rubbed it down with some other spicy stuff and then proceeded to make all the side-dishes.

This is what it looked like when it came out:

What did I do? (Thoughts of that ignorant Wal-Mart customer plagued my mind) I cut up the vegetables, prepared the table, cut the pepperoni and cheese and drank copious amounts of wine.

Anyway, he was right, the holiday went smoothly. His parents were happy, he was happy and I was happy until my tummy rumbled and I remembered why I disliked the holiday again. Although it was our first one together, it will go down in my memory as another uneventful Thanksgiving.

I will admit, I usually don't mind cleaning but cleaning up that mess was, well a mess!! After all the dishes were cleaned, the leftovers put away and the lights off, I told him next year, we're going to my mothers. And for her, I'm thankful.

On a side note, we spent our free time watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, something he had never seen. He swears it's an updated version of Star Wars. I'll have to try and do another blog post on that topic alone b/c I think he might be right.

Anyway, Happy belated Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment