Monday, January 31, 2011

TV Killed the Bedroom Fun, well not really

I'm almost 34 years old and never in my life have I had a television in my bedroom. Not even as a kid or a teenager growing up. But after living with the Viking now for almost three months, we indeed have very different taste in what is good TV and what is bad TV.

My idea of bad TV: wrestling
His idea of good TV: wrestling

My idea of good TV: Bizarre Foods
His idea of bad TV: Bizarre Foods

My idea of bad TV: Sport Highlight shows
His idea of good TV: Sport Highlight shows

So you get the picture...although there are things we both enjoy watching, like American Pickers, Scared Straight and Storage Wars, there are some things I'm just not willing to watch.

Thus, the reason for the television in the bedroom. I was adamant against it at first, believing that the bedroom is only for sleeping and sex. Watching shows in different rooms keeps us apart, and although it's good to have our own alone time, after a long day at work, I want nothing more than to sit on the couch and relax to a little TV with The Vik.

Actually though, it's not so bad. Since putting the TV in a few weeks ago (this weekend he put up the shelf for the cable unit and covered the cords) we've spent two nights laying in bed after dinner watching TV. This is the reason for my increasingly large ass, but you know what? It was nice. I spent the time to relax, with him beside me, the blackberry downstairs and the dog in between us.

I'm hoping he doesn't revert to the bedroom to watch TV at the sight of show he may not like, but I'm optimistic.

So, tell me...do any of you have TVs in the bedroom? Has it slowed down your love life? Made things better?

3 comments:

  1. yes we have a tv in our bedroom, but the kids watch it more than we do. The love life is fine. I hear a lot of couples complain about bedroom distractions like tv, but so far we're cool there.

    my suggestions w the tv is this, movie night or date night, whatever you call it, pick something you can agree on, watch it in the bedrooom. Bobina & I do this sometimes....its cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on movie/date night Lance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool: lazy Sundays watching marathons in bed; Uncool: Trying to fall asleep while he watches _______.

    ReplyDelete