Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Clean Queen Throws in her Towel

I am a self-proclaimed clean freak with OCD tendencies. Which is why it was difficult for me this week to allow strangers to come into my home and clean it, top to bottom. While I love the end result, (they cleaned areas I have unintentionally ignored like my ceiling fans and the window above my front door) there's a sort of guilt and failure that I feel for resigning to maids to clean my 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath home. I mean it's not that big, I can do it myself right?

Well, I could...and that was before October 2010 when the Vik moved in. Not that I'm blaming him, but when I lived alone, I didn't even step foot in three of the rooms. Automatically less mess. And the only reason I went to the basement was to do laundry - now he uses it as a workspace, storage space and bar.

When I lived alone, cleaning the house was a chore I embraced. I blasted my music, danced around and had fun with it. It was the one thing I felt I could control - take what's dirty, use a little elbow grease and make it clean. There was an end result. One I felt proud of.

But after the Vik moved in, the mess became more than I could handle. And it's not that he's messy, he's just a guy - and a simple act of making a sandwich would turn into a crumb fest on my counters and floor. (I should state that he does clean up after himself. But I have high standards when it comes to cleaning, and rarely anyone meets them).

My cleaning cache
I also found it too easy to make an excuse to be lazy with him or do other fun things on the weekends then clean. But, I found that I couldn't really enjoy myself when all I could think of was the dust piling up in the corners or the ring forming around my toilets. The neglect was turning to guilt and the guilt to stress.

Why should I stress about a household chore when I have enough stress in my life? That was the question I asked myself earlier this month and the one that changed my mind. In an effort to lessen my stress, I gave in and you know what? I'm happy I did. The Merry Maids met my cleaning standards - cleaning places I couldn't (my ceiling vents for one) and I'm happy to break my weekends free from scrubbing the tub and polishing the stainless steel. This isn't to say I'm going to let the house go. I can't do that. I'm too manic about being clean, but I'm okay letting go of the control, (I think).

So, I ask you. Do you have a maid? What's been the most rewarding thing about having one? If you don't have one, would you consider it?

Better yet...do you think I'm a) crazy b) lazy or c) wise.


3 comments:

  1. We have a cleaning crew come in once a month and it makes me happy that I don't have one more very big "to do" item on my list each weekend. I too am an "everything has it's place" kinda girl and still use Lysol wipes a few times a week and clean the kitchen after cooking/preparing meals. It's good for your soul.You are not crazy or lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reply. I was so used to doing everything myself. It's nice to give up a task that I worried about completing on my weekends when I should be enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we all want that our bathroom would look good specially it reflects who we are..we need to be more organized and we should clean it everyday so would be good to look at..

    towel rings

    ReplyDelete